Friday, August 25, 2006

Hell Box

That’s right. I have a blog, don’t I?

That title has nothing to do with what follows. Nothing at all.

Thursday is my Friday. I celebrated by finishing a short story. Not only had the scope, shape, and content of the piece bedeviled me for (far too many) months, but I’d all but given up hope of finishing it. Which sucked, considering its thematic elements were largely drawn from my life. (Aren’t they all?) I’d thought that this would at least be fertile territory in a desert of tedious, time wasting boredom.

I was right, but it took a third reading to see that. Not only was my original idea strong enough to support an entire story, I uncovered at least two more really good nuggets inside the whinny drivel…all of which I cut out.

Well, almost.

But you’ll never know, will you? Not unless you ask.

You know the best part? From an absurdly nerdy, writer-perspective? I did it all in under five thousand words. One hundred eighty-nine to spare means a lot when you’re thinking in column inches.

Nothin’s gonna stop me now.

(You can’t see it, but I wrote that with a self-contemptuous smirk on my face. )

No comments: